John, you are not forgotten

"The trauma survivor is silenced three times; firstly by their family, secondly by society and thirdly by bio-psychiatry. Wouldn't this make you angry?"

About This Blog

I wanted to create something beautiful for a passionate and soulful man who opened my eyes and my heart... because I wanted to celebrate our love with the world... a love so strong, a love denied, a bond that has survived the unspeakable; labelling, drugging and incarcerating. John reawakened my soul. I am gathering love for him. I no longer wish to be afraid of the trauma truth. I long to speak the poetry of my heart. This blog gives me and John's family and friends a voice in a legal system and a society that has taken our voice away and given exclusive rights and total control over John and his future to psychiatry. We live in an unenlightened world which translates "emotional distress" into "mental disorder". It's time to celebrate diversity and the normality of madness; visions and voices, fragility, sensitivity, passion, overwhelm, the language of the soul, the symbols of the soul and the mythic and metaphorical gifts from the soul. Each of our own unique and creative responses to trauma deserve to be honoured.


"Your heart has grown heavy with loss;
And though this loss has wounded others too,
No one knows what has been taken from you
when the silence of absence deepens."

John O'Donohue

Free John

Free John
Five Long Years

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Love That Will Not Die

'Spiritual awakening is frequently described as a journey to the top of a mountain. We leave our attachments and our worldliness behind and slowly make our way to the top. At the peak we have transcended all pain. The only problem with this metaphor is that we leave all the others behind - our drunken brother, our schizophrenic sister, our tormented animals and friends. Their suffering continues, unrelieved by our personal escape.

In the process of discovering bodhichitta, the journey goes down, not up. It's as if the mountain pointed toward the centre of the earth instead of reaching into the sky. Instead of transcending the suffering of all creatures, we move toward the turbulence and doubt. We jump into it. We slide into it. We tiptoe into it. We move toward it however we can. We explore the reality and unpredictability of insecurity and pain, and we try not to push it away. If it takes years, if it takes lifetimes, we let it be as it is. At our own pace, without speed or aggression, we move down and down and down. With us we move millions of others, our companions in awakening from fear. At the bottom we discover water, the healing water of bodhichitta. Right down there in the thick of things, we discover the love that will not die.' - PEMA CHODRON

I opened the book at the very chapter I needed to read last night. This is why my love for John has been so challenging and so challenged. He remains one of the greatest teachers in my life. This is why he will always be the unforgettable fire in my life;

1 comment:

  1. wow...I almost posted that same passage a couple of days ago...I love Pema...I've got tons of her work on my blog. I love you too Grainne.

    ReplyDelete